Thursday, March 17, 2005

The Road Less Graveled

Today I represented our apprenticeship in this trades fair that was geared towards women. This trades fair was held up in Bellingham (about an hour and a half away). This is the second trades fair I've gone to to help our our program. Last year was the Women in the Trades that was held in Seattle Center. This one was a smaller scale of that one, but this is the first one I did all by my self.

Last night I was all kinds of scared and nervous. I had no idea what I was getting myself into. It turned out awesome.

I showed up at Bellingham Technical College at about 7:30 this morning. Got my booth all set up.

* NOTE: Last night Garrett helped me figure out how to set up the back drop thingy. I didn't want to look like a retard trying to figure out the thing in public. Good thing too, in my living room, I had the thing upside down and backwards. So glad I figured it out earlier.

My booth was right next to the Iron Worker's booth. (lucky me) The guy and gal running that booth were cool people. I remember the guy from the Women in the Trades Fair last April. He is also the president of their local. He sent me an Iron Worker's T-Shirt last year for my birthday. (well it just happened to show up on my birthday.) It was nice to have a familiar face there.

It took a whole hour to set up the back drop and set out informational packets, stickers, and other neat goodies to put on display. I had a lot of the other trades come over and talk to me, wondering where the heck my partner Eric was. Eric is one of the head guys at school. I go to him when ever I have any kind of problem that needs fixing... schoolwise, that is. Today Eric was in Idaho with the Regionals Competition, that's why I was flying solo today.

By 8:30 I was extremely nervous. Trying to talk to the other tradesmen/tradeswomen made me more nervous. They had all done this type of thing many many times. They all knew exactly what to say to these young minds that were coming up to our tables trying to learn about our particular craft. Me, I was trying to remember how to talk.

There was this table that had coffee, and bagels and tea set out. I opted for the tea hoping that having something in my hands would help, but with out the jitters that coffee gives me. Good choice. At 10:15 the "resource table" portion of the event started. This little cafeteria was PACKED with men and women. Young and old. I started talking to people about sheetmetal. How I got started, the work I've done, the places I've been. How I stand out, how I make a difference. This odd adrenaline rush kicked in.

I was standing (not sitting like the other people) behind my table. I kind of hop around, and talk with my hands as I tell my stories. There is constantly a huge crowd at my table. My confidence is through the roof. All nervousness and shyness forgotten. I did awesome! There were so many young minds out there I was able to reach. I could see it in their eyes as they watched me talk about sheetmetal. I hope that some of them find the courage within themselves to make the call and get started.

By 11:30, my throat and feet were both killing me. The crowd thinned dramatically. I was able to sit and talk to people on a more one on one level.

1:30 was time to go. I was ready to leave when this young lady came up to me. She wanted to ask some more questions on how our schooling works. How to get signed up. I really wanted to leave, but I went with instinct and spent another half hour there. Just me and her talked. I really really hope she signs up. I think she might.

A job well done. I made some notes to myself on how we can improve our booth by the time this year's Women in the Trades Fair comes to town. Can't wait to report to Eric on Monday!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home