Monday, March 14, 2005

Home on Monday?

Yes that's right, I'm at home on a very beautiful, sunny Monday morning.

On Friday before the work day was over, the HVAC crew in our shop got put on "Stand by." Stand by means that we get to sit at home on unemployment and wait for our shop to get busier than it is. I guess what the journey men do is go out and look for work without putting their names on the books at the Union Hall. If they find a job, great. If not, they wait for the shop to pick up again. My shop foreman came up to me on Friday and asked me specifically to not look for a job. If I do have to go get a job, he wants me to call him first. He might be able to bring me in and have me sweep the parking lot or something like that.

I will give PSF three weeks to find some work for me. I would go crazy being at home any longer. Besides I turn out in April. I become a journeyman, not an apprentice. I want to make the good money. Not that getting paid $455 a week to sit at home isn't bad... Just getting $32.15 an hour every day is a little better.

The last union meeting I went to I was offered a job with a company that I worked for just before PSF. Also there is a company that is really busy doing stainless work, (my specialty) and is headed by a group of people that I've worked for before. There is an excellent chance I could get in to that shop. The second shop is WAY closer to home too.

But in the mean time, I'm going to enjoy my time off. A wonderful time to get the house back in order.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home