Monday, May 02, 2005

12K ~ Bloomsday 2005

Yes that's right, I did a 12 K run.

Ivan talked me into doing the Bloomsday run with him. I've been dreading it, while he's been looking forward to it for months. So we packed up some running gear and headed toward Spokane this last weekend.

We stayed with Garrett's girl Deane Friday night. Wasn't too exciting seeing as how we got there at around midnight. Woke up somewhat early Saturday. After an awesome breakfast, we headed out to Ivan's parent's house.

*** I drove by the way. Ivan taught me how to drive his truck. I was never really taught how to drive a stick. It was very funny and exciting having me drive.

We picked up Jenny and went to Spokane to pick up our packets and our race numbers. There was also a spaghetti feed going on along with all the cotton candy, elephant ears and deep fried twinkies you can eat. Yes that's right deep fried twinkies. And for the small price of $2 you too can sample such a delightful experience. I think they tasted like pancakes after they were fried.

After having a blast down town, it was time to head back to the in-laws place. Needed to rest up for the big race. We got up pretty early Sunday morning and headed back to Spokane. I think it is about an hour drive from his parent's house to Spokane. We got ourselves a cheap and quick breakfast on the way there. Once there, we found our places and got ready to run.

The big race

It took us 4 minutes 15 seconds just to get to the starting line from where we were. We ran the first two miles strait through. Then it was jogging and walking the rest of the way. They have bands and radio stations throughout the rout about every quarter mile or so. It helped keep your energy up. I almost died at about mile 6. I was ready to have Ivan carry me the rest of the way. But I somehow got a second wind and kept going. We all ran the last half mile together. I think Jenny was with me when I say I don't know where the energy came to actually run that last half mile. Walking would have been perfectly fine, but you want your picture taken while running.

It's cool you get this t-shirt that says you are a Bloomsday finisher. I also got a sunburn on my arms and face. That contrasts dramatically with the paleness of the rest of my body. I actually felt great after running for 7.46 miles. You wouldn't think so today though. I can barely hobble around the house. My legs are killing me.

I think I need another nap.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home